Nursing Home Abuse
Brownsville Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers
The very old and disabled are among the most vulnerable in our society. At one time, we lived in extended families with the generations caring for one another. As times and lifestyles have changed, the old, out of necessity, are relegated to living their final days in nursing homes. Abuse in nursing homes is real, pervasive and a silent menace. Nursing home abuse ranges from neglect to outright intentional physical abuse. The deplorable conditions often go unnoticed, the victim locked silently within themselves, betrayed by their own bodies and unable to adequately express their pain. Others are afraid to tell, knowing that once their loved ones leave, they will once again be alone with their abusers.
Nursing home victims need the assistance of a nursing home abuse attorney. Their rights must be protected and they may be entitled to compensation. Protect your loved ones. If you suspect abuse, contact a Brownsville injury attorney with experience in nursing home abuse claims. We can help.
What Are the Most Common Forms of Nursing Home Abuse in Brownsville?
The statistics on nursing home abuse are appalling. A study conducted by the “Special Investigative Division of the House Government Reform Committee”, left its members shocked and without a clear solution to the problem. As the numbers of elderly in our society rise while resources dwindle, the abuse worsens exponentially. The National Center for Elder Abuse has identified the most common forms of abuse. They include:
- Physical violence such as hitting, beating, shaking, shoving, slapping, kicking, biting and burning.
- Inappropriate use of drugs and/or physical restraints.
- Forced feeding, isolation and other forms of punishment.
- Inadequate medical care.
- Decubitus ulcers, commonly known as bed sores.
- Malnutrition and dehydration.
- Sexual abuse including rape, sodomy, sexually explicit photography and forced nudity.
- Emotional abuse such as threats, intimidation, verbal abuse and forced isolation.
Signs and Symptoms of Nursing Home Abuse in Brownsville
In studies done by both government and private agencies, it has been found that the vast majority of nursing home abuse goes unnoticed and unreported. Loved ones must learn how to look for signs of abuse.
- Report(s) of abuse by the victim.
- Bruises, welts, burns, black-eyes, open wounds, puncture marks and signs of restraint.
- Broken bones, sprains and dislocations.
- Repeatedly found lying in their waste.
- Dirty clothes and bed linens.
- Torn clothing and/or broken eyeglasses and frames.
- Unexplained loss of weight.
- Unusual behavior or change in behavior.
- Bruises on the breasts and around the genitalia.
- Unusually withdrawn, lethargic or non-responsive.
Brownsville nursing home attorneys are your best avenue for fighting abuse of the elderly. Our attorneys at the Villarreal Law Firm have years of experience with nursing home abuse cases and can help protect your loved one. Nursing home abuse is not going away. It is not getting better. We must all be advocates for the voiceless and suffering elderly victims.
If you suspect that a loved one has been or is the victim of abuse in a nursing home, do not hesitate to seek help. You need proper counsel. You or your loved one may be entitled to compensation for medical expenses as well as pain and suffering. You need to contact a Brownsville attorney, seasoned in nursing home abuse. The Villarreal Law Firm is knowledgeable in nursing home abuse cases. We will protect your rights and the rights of your loved one. Call us today at 956-544-4444 for your free consultation.
Free Case Evaluation
We offer the victims of careless acts a free case evaluation designed to provide you with the answers you need when you need them most. Fill Out the form below.